Old Friend Sighting

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Old Friend Sighting

Post by Rick Pope »

Last evening, my child bride and I had the pleasure of spending the evening with someone a few of you may remember. Ray Korpan is a well traveled member of the CBX community, and has popped up at many a rally over the years. He still has a CBX or three, though he doesn't ride a lot these days. We're on our way to Alaska, and Saskatoon, SK is pretty much on the way, so we stopped in and caught Ray with a little free time. He came to the campground and visited for a bit before chauffeuring us about and going to supper.

So, if you're rambling about, and get near a town where old friends might be, stop in and visit a spell. I'm sure glad we did.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Old Friend Sighting

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Great,good people Rick. Ray good people from some good past times. Hope your venture is going well. Enjoy.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Glad to hear Ray is doing well, sounds like a good time spent with an old friend! Did you take any pictures, post them if you got them.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

No pics that would be of interest here. I failed to snap any while in Wisconsin at the Komurkas' ride. Met up with Don/Cindy Schmitt, Chuck/Gail Ashley, Van/Paula Komurka, Andrew Komurka, and Joel/Riley Komurka there. Others were present, but escape my aging cranium at the moment.

We've been on the road 16 days now, traveled about 2,500 miles, visiting friends in various parts of the country. In a few days, we'll actually get to the start of the Alaska Highway, 1,400 miles of road that varies from excellent to "under repair", and incredible scenery. At the beginning of this trip, I estimated it'd take us a month to reach Alaska, a month there, and another to meander home again.

Here's the camper rig. there's a smart car on the deck behind the cab. Normally, there's a couple motorcycles in the rear garage, but we left them home.

Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Glad to hear all is going well!

Dave

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Excellent, Rick.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Check out that badass rig, I bet it doesn't even know that toy hauler is back there. Have an excellent trip, Rick!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA
'82 CBX, among others.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Nils, that rig is the culmination of many years dreaming and checking out other campers/trucks. We have far less $$ invested than you would think. The camper is a 2008, and the truck was purchased with 503k on the clock. Susan and I spent 2021/2022 building the hauler bed.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

She’s a beauty Rick, what color is the smart car?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rick Pope wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:05 am
Nils, that rig is the culmination of many years dreaming and checking out other campers/trucks. We have far less $$ invested than you would think. The camper is a 2008, and the truck was purchased with 503k on the clock. Susan and I spent 2021/2022 building the hauler bed.
Is the rear of the truck setup conventionally with a bunk or two, or did you do something different in there, given that you have the toy hauler out back?

With all your years of farming and owning/operating/fixing things, I imagine you can drive exactly anything and fix it too.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA
'82 CBX, among others.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

DISCLAIMER: This mode of travel is not for everyone.

Jeff, the smart is white.

Nils, the truck has a bed, refrigerator, dining table, and a means to cook, thus were able to have it registered as a motorhome. No cdl, no fuel tax reporting, no scales, and no commercial insurance. I can fix a lot of stuff, but the electronics of newer vehicles is beyond my abilities.
Rick Pope

Return to “No Redeeming Value”