Tire Pressure Question

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tire Pressure Question

Post by Want2ride »

What do people run for tire pressure on a 1979 CBX? I have been running the recommend 24psi front and 40psi rear for about 10 years now. Yesterday as I pushed it out of the garage, I thought why is the heaviest bike I have, running on some of lowest pressures? So as an experiment, I put the front at 34psi and back at 42psi, and I liked it. It is easier to push. It seems more lively under acceleration and braking. It did not seem nervous cornering or rough over bumps. I have got to think the mileage and tire life will be extended. It is far easier to put on the center stand. The only downside is the side stand is now more leaned over but as we know that's only for mounting and dismounting anyway. BTW it has Shinko Tour Master tires in sizes 100/90x19 Ft and 130/80x18 Rr. Anybody have thoughts on this?

:text-feedback:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tire Pressure Question

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I've been running 34/38 on Bridgestone BT45 on my '79 for years.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

I’ve never heard of a 24 psi recommendation anywhere. Where did you read this? It’s easier to push around because the unladen contact patch is narrower. Pretty much the same riding it. IME 42 is too high and will give you a rougher ride. Tires warm up when riding and can gain 2-4 psi. So after an hour or two the 42 cold can become 45+ hot. Your center strip will wear sooner too. I run 34-36F and 36-38R. Tires wear perfectly.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Tire pressures are dependent on the load. If you're a lighter rider, lower pressures may be fine. If you're a Round Boy, like me, the max printed on the sidewall may be appropriate. I run about 40-41 psi, front and back, on all my bikes.

As to pressures rising when warmed up, that's true, but there's a reason pressure recommendations are always stated as cold pressures.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've run 36/38 psi forever on the early models. Handling seems best in that range. However, for the Pro-Links, for best handling, you need more - 38/40 or 40/42 is best. That and max (or more) air pressure in the rear shock. We used to regularly run 70 psi in the rear shock. All that takes much of the 'hinge' out of the middle of the bike in high-speed corners.

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Want2ride »

I made a typo in message, I said Frt recommended was 24 psi but was thinking 28 psi. 28 is the recommended t.p. from Honda as shown in the owner's manual and what l had been running. After a 2nd ride yesterday at the higher pressures, and listening to the group, I believe 34-36 psi in the front and 40-44 psi in the back is the way to go. Maybe sidewalls were much stiffer back in 1979 and didn't require as much pressure to remain stiff, which could explain some of this. My 1977 CB400F has Honda recommended t.p. of 26 frt and 28 Rr with one person, so Honda had some low pressures back then. It also has Shinkos and I will be trying a few pounds more there also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”