Strange noise from speedo

CBX1000chris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Strange noise from speedo

Post by CBX1000chris »

Hi all,
Has anyone ever encountered a noisy speedo? It is the speedo, pull the clutch and hit the kill switch noise continues. I removed the speedo cable inner and the noise goes away.

The noise is only really noticeable at low speeds, it's a high(ish) frequency buzz and just before I come to a standstill it stops as suddenly as it starts. When I set off all is quiet for some time before I can hear the buzz again.

The cable inner looks to be in good shape but I plan to replace the cable complete with a Honda part just to eliminate that as the cause. Given the frequency (and the fact I'm riding the bike) it's hard to say if it's the speedo drive, cable or head unit.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Chris.
p.s. just back from a lovely ride around Wiltshire (UK). Lovely temperature, quiet roads and decent food in Marlborough. I thoroughly recommend retirement!

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Strange noise from speedo

Post by Dynamohum »

It could be the speedo but a thorough lubing of the cable might help. You didn’t mention lubing it.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Hello Chris, try lubing the cable first. If the noise persists, it is most likely the speedo shaft and bushing have become dry and will need to be disassembled and lubed. I can perform this service.
Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

80 cbx dude #6216 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:39 pm
Hello Chris, try lubing the cable first. If the noise persists, it is most likely the speedo shaft and bushing have become dry and will need to be disassembled and lubed. I can perform this service.
Mike
And you will be glad he did, this is another great service provided by a well known and capable member here!

CBX1000chris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000chris »

Thanks guys, I'll try some lube and hopefully get out at the weekend for a test.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”